View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
chipj29

In 2006, I posted the following:
First of all, thanks to Don for providing the site. Secondly, thanks to all of you for your opinions. It is nice to hear all sides of an issue, one that is so near and dear to all of us. And thanks to most of you for keeping it civil.
Personally I was against HB162, because I feel it infringes on our freedoms, and also because it would have made me a criminal to go WOT on my jet ski. Even though it barely breaks 50, I don't think it is dangerous, or that I am a dangerous rider, and I especially feel that people that are on the water near me are not in fear of me. I keep my head on a swivel at all times, and I know where you are. And I stay 150'+++ away, no matter if I am stand on vessel or not. I know the rules of the water...does the other guy? Maybe not, so I stay away.
I hope you all have a great summer and enjoy your time on the water, whatever body of water that may be.

Chip

And in 2008, I posted this:
All I ask is for everyone, opponents and proponents alike, is to be safe on the water. If you see a Captain Bonehead, educate them* rather than swear at them (*if possible). I don't think that speed is a problem on the lake, the problem is ignorance of the laws that are currently in place. They just need to be enforced.

In the end, not much will change in the next 2 years. All one needs to do is look at the number of accidents directly caused by speeds over 45/25. How many were there before the speed limit, and how many were there in the 2 years of the speed limit. That is how the effect of the law should be statistically determined. If the baseline is zero, then the law cannot possibly prevent any accidents.

To summarize both of my previous posts, please be safe out on the water at whatever speed you choose to travel. To the legistators, please be cognizant of the realities with regards to safety on our beloved lake.