View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
VtSteve

Obviously there's a lot more work to do. As Don said, your legislators need input, so that's where the energy should be directed.

With congestion, comes problems that did not exist prior. I think it's safe to say that Lake Winnipesaukee has been congested for some time, particularly in the usual high traffic areas where the navigable waterway is not really that wide. Some of these issues have been addressed in prior years, ie: the NWZ in Meredith Bay and between Governors Island and Eagle.

But issues remain, generally broken down between a few categories.

1) Boaters that do not adhere to the 150' rule above headway speed. This is a simple rule, and not a technically-correct measurement rule. By that I mena there is some leeway dependent upon the boaters and the waterway being navigated. 150' sounds like a lot, but it's only 50 yards. Some boats travel too closely to others, and others simply can't properly judge 150'.

2) BUI - Nothing more needs to be said on this topic

3) Reckless boaters. This includes boats barreling towards or past others at high rates of speed, as well as tubers going at moderate speeds and not paying attention. People leaving NWZ areas and then gunning it too close to others that are slowing for entry into said channel.

4) Obnoxious activity. This would include loud music and loud boats, drinking and partying without regard to other boaters or property owners.

Two things that have an immediate impact on all of the above.

1) TRAINING AND EDUCATION

2) ENFORCEMENT (for those that didn't get Number1)

For the waterways to be safe for all, and compromises upheld so that everyone has a fair shake at enjoyment, there needs to be a comprehensive effort to enable the Marine Patrol to enforce the laws, better educate and train boaters, and appear to have a presence.

RULE 6 NEEDS TO BE THE OVERRIDING LAW IN PLACE ON THE WATER.
It's almost universal.
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...les/Rule06.htm

Without proper enforcement, there will always be those that are obnoxious, breaking laws, and even endangering others. No additional or existing law will eliminate these problems unless there is someone out there to enforce them.

Obviously, existing supporters of the SL law have no policy in place to properly address the real problems on the lake. Granted, it takes a lot of time and work to do things properly. Next summer, (hopefully), will be great weather for boating, and the economy, (hopefully), will be much better than this summer was. That will Probably bring more boat traffic (as was evidenced in August during the approximately two good weather weeks). It will also (probably) mean that those that thought the SL law worked well will have to reconsider.

Winnipesaukee has been a busy and somewhat congested lake since I first was on it, circa 1963 or thereabouts. Over the years, it gained in popularity and the congestion got worse. It's a lake that is pretty spread out, and thus became a natural for GF boats and large cruisers. Back in my day, a 21' boat was considered the minimum size one needed if they really wanted to go boating with any regularity. My suggestion was always 25' or more.

Bottom line:

I don't support rude or arrogant boaters
I don't like outlandishly loud boats
I don't want to worry about drunken idiots running me over
I don't want enforcement to become worse than the original problem.
I don't need a speed limit that doesn't address the real problems
I don't think it will take long before the SL law is shown to be counter productive

Eventually, facts and boater's discussions will reveal what's really needed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: