View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #56
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Can you quote a source where the State is going to "pull up rails"?

BTW, Nice 1st post.... I would guess you live in SD or LB... NO?
No, I do not live in those communities.
The purpose of my post was to inform people that this railroad corridor is not abandoned, it's still under common carrier status and still part of the national railroad network. Example, the Conway Scenic Railroad is operating on tracks that were abandoned by the railroad before the state purchased the line. That railroad corridor is no longer part of the national railroad network and is not governed by the STB. Back to the line in question, in order for the state to apply for abandonment, the operating railroads have to first apply for a discontinuance with the STB and because this is an active rail line, the state would have to put this line up for bid. For the WOW Trail leaders to ask the state to simply deny the current railroads the right to do business in order to shut the line down for their rail-trail is in violation of federal law (railroads are exempt from local and state oversight, when dealing with interstate commerce). The Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad, the New England Southern Railroad, the Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train and the Lincoln Shops (which is a year round railroad car and locomotive repair shop) could potentially bring this issue before the board, if the WOW leaders and organizers, go too far.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote