View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Beauty Pageants

Hi Gary:
To the best of my knowledge this is about all you'll find on-line. It is from the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society page;
"Irwin’s Winnipesaukee Gardens opened on Memorial Day weekend in 1925 and was an instant hit with the music-loving public of the 1920s. Top bands touring the country now had a new, lively place to play in, one with an ideal lakeside setting that was perfect for a summer night. And WKAV was soon conducting live broadcasts from the Gardens, bringing the Big Band sound to listeners all over New Hampshire.

And Irwin was quick to capitalize on the bathing beauty phenomena which had been started by Atlantic City’s Miss America Pageant in 1919, creating the Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant the very same year that the Gardens opened. The pageant is still going strong and has produced more Miss New Hampshire winners than any other pageant in the state."

(link to.... http://www.lwhs.us/wei-winnipesaukeepier.htm )

I still haven't gotten to the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society Museum but my guess is that they would have tons of information.

Here is a list of winners that you may have seen and may even be the page you are working on (?)

I also have another contact who may be able to help if you want to e-mail me.

Good Luck! We'd love to see your work when it's done. McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote