View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

As far as I know, other than seeing this carving on the ship, this is the first publication of it thus far. Same for the first propeller driven boat on Winnipesaukee, books only mention the Nellie. I have yet to see a photograph, so when I post my pictures, you will be the first to lay eyes on her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Thank you McD and RG. The mountains suggested Wolfeboro's view, but the shore looked so...wilderness.
My pleasure. I really enjoy the rich history of the lake and sharing my finds.
Upon thinking about the sunrise over Mount Washington, can the sun actually be seen rising over the mountain from the lake?
Perhaps the book is wrong or maybe it is just artistic license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
One last question: Why am I missing -- and reminiscing about -- a boat I never saw?
It is odd that we can miss something and have special feeling about a ship that we have never seen.
I was quite sad back at the anniversary of the first Mounts passing.
My husband pointed out that if she had survived, it is quite probable that she wouldn’t be on the lake now.
Another thing, our beloved Mount Washington of today would not be here. Leander Lavallee rescued her from certain demise. I for one treasure her. After 117 years of service, she is still going strong. (I really should put that historical post together!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
Could the wood have been for the saw mill? I know they floated the logs in.
I really think this wood was for one of the steamers. The photo is from 1870’s when the Chocorua and Lady of the Lake were around using wood for fuel.
Coal is still a good candidate for the Mt. Washington. All the old pictures of her always show very black smoke. The other steamers are more of a white smoke, which I think indicates wood.
In one of my books they mention that it is now illegal to haul logs on the lake. (I’m a regular Cliff Clavin. )
On the History Channel, on a show was about logging in early America, many logs were lost and sunk to the bottom of lakes and rivers. There are companies that figured out that raising these gems were very worthwhile. They were wide, old trees, which command a good price as lumber. They were preserved quite well for all this time under water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
The Back Bay has many that got stuck in the mud. I remember being in a boat in 1948 and hitting one of the logs. We went back to Moultonboro in reverse. That took awhile.
Yikes! Hope that never happens to us!
Are there any lumber mills in the area to rescue these logs?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote