Thread: Fee for Kayaks
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Here we are again, we debated this very issue a few years ago. While a 10$ fee may on the outset seem easy to deal with, for most families it will not be a simple 10$ fee. My self for instence:

2 Kayaks --> 20$
1 Canoe --> 10$

30$ total

Now if I take it to the Bear Islander extreme, for which he is right and this law could be made to apply to tubes and rafts. I end up with:

2 multi-person rafts --> 20$

for a grand total of 50$....

That on top of the Money I already pay for my boat and Jet-Ski registrations.

Now I launch on my own property, and don't use any state facilities, except for the lake itself.... Sure someday, I might need to be rescued and I am aware of that, and understand that it does cost money.... And am willing to pay for that service..

Humm they already have a law in place, that gives, the state agencies the ability to recoup the cost of a search and rescue operation don't they????

They can keep adding fees and hey maybe some day they will balance the budget.... but it doesn't mean it is fair, or the correct thing to do. I will be pefectly honest, if my family didn't have property on the Lake, I would have found a new more vacationer friendly area to spend my money.... The State of NH has increase the cost of registering boats, raised room and board taxes, all in an effort to make more money. But it doesn't seem to be helping, the bleeding never stops.... Because as they raise the fees and taxes, people find other places to go..... Sure Tourism in NH is still alive and well, but when you get down to the brass tax of it all it isn't what it was 10-15 years ago.

I have said this many time, NH needs to look at ways to make revenue, that make sense, and don't pass the burden on to the tourists only....I have said many time, add a 1% sales tax, and the state will create a stream of revenue that is unparalleled. However before that is done, the distribution of that money needs to be set up correctly. The whole problem is the State of NH never set the funding of all its branches properly, and now they are paying the price, and doing a lot of robbing from Peter to pay Paul. NH has and has had for many years a crisis with state revenue and spending. But although the promises are made to deal with it the politicians never do.... NH has to face some radical reforms in order to properly fund itself, On of which is a total redefining of how money is distributed, and raised.