Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I'm sorry but I think this idea of "I get to censor your behavior just because I don't like it" is not acceptable. My mother is uncomfortable driving faster than 40 MPH. Should everyone on the highway be forced to slow to 40 MPH to make her comfortable? If my idea of enjoyment of the lake is buzzing around on jet skis does your dislike of jet skis allow you to say I can't use them? If you are going to make laws, I believe they should be based on emperical need for the law, not just people's feelings. If feelings is the the rational for law then no one in the 60's would have been allowed to have long hair, rock & roll would have been DOA, and gay people would still be locked in closets.

I agree that public and flagrant violation of law can not be accepted but we all "bend" speed limits. So a 45 limit would effectively be a 55 MPH enforced limit, similar to highways. However, unreasonable laws are always being protested either through behavior or through legal challenge. Laws aren't always right.
I niether totally agree or totally disagree with you Jeff. Which is what makes this such a hard issue. However I think the bigest problem is that niether side is willing to give any. Personally I feel there are very few parts of the lake where speed is a concern. And if it was regulated in those areas only then the rest of the lake would be wide open, I don't think I have ever been in the middle of the broads when I felt there should be a speed limit. However I have been around the Wiers, when a bad egg takes off out of the channel, and puts the hammer down. And I feel that a speed limit would give the Marine Patrol the ability to stop someone like that, who is 150 feet from everyone, with out having to pull them over on a judgement based call.
This is a complex issue, with no good answer however I think if both side hadn't sunk thier heels in, a good comprimised could have been brought forth. Instead the politicians will decide if it is all or nothing.......

Buy the way do I think 45 is the magical number....... no I don't.... if a speed limit is set I hope they review the number often, and raise it, much like the speed limit got raised on the highways.......if a lake wide limit is to be imposed I think something like 60, is more practical, but then again that also really segragates a certain class of boats, and is that really fair.