View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Most hardware stores have an assortment of different sized tapered rubber plugs. I needed one for my trim pump and went to the hardware store in the Alton traffic circle and was extremely surprised to find they had the exact same size I dropped in the bilge! If you plug up that hole when not in use, put something on your key ring as a reminder to remove the plug before starting. One of my annual rituals that I do with an outboard motor I have is every spring when I break it out from storage, before I start it up for the first time, is I take a blow gun and pump compressed air through the pee hole for a few seconds to clear it out of anything that might of gotten in there over the winter. Works great for anything you can't reach with a tool, and (IMHO), provides a little more peace of mind...
Thanks, we checked our local HW store for plugs and while they had cork stoppers, the rubber ones weren’t small enough diameter to fit the small hole.
That brings up another small issue though...our boat is always in the water when we arrive to go out. Even when it’s in its valet rack it’s up near the top of the building so we can’t just go and work on it. We’ll have to wait around for the forklift to pick it up and have them wait a couple minutes while we take a look at the hole from ground level. We could look at it in the water if we went to a sand bar...that’s what I might do this week...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote