View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Don't be afraid to ask when they will be opening the area to more snowmobiling as was originally promised.
The three parcels in Alton were purchased by the Forest Society using funds raised in the campaign of the past few years. As promised the Forest Society has established a working group of local stakeholders including the Mt Major Snowmobile Association. The purpose of the group is to hammer out agreements as to future management of the lands. So far they have had 3 meeting with an officer of the snowmobile club being a participant. I don’t have info as to the status of the meetings but why not contact a club officer?

Two years ago the Alton Conservation held a public forum on using $240K from the conversation fund to support the purchase by the Forest Society. I spoke about the need to preserve all traditional uses including hiking, hunting and snowmobiling. An officer from the snowmobile club then spoke in favor of supporting the purchase noting that they have had good luck working with the Forest Society and the alternative was the properties being developed.

The $240K from Alton was not a pure donation, the Town bought conservation easements on all 3 properties guaranteeing forever public access for the traditional uses including snowmobiling.

I will disclose that I was a founding member/director of the BRCC. In 2008 speaking at the Alton Town Meeting about putting more $ into the conversation fund to help preserve land in the Belkap Range from development, I was made keenly aware of local snowmobilers resentment of what happened at Castle in the Clouds. Some of those local snowmobilers were my friends and in some cases fellow board members. I can assure you that this awareness was implanted into the BRCC board.

Probably many local snowmobilers will always have a cynical view of land conservation. So be it.
Peace.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post: