Thread: water snake?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
ApS

Default No Moccasin Snakes Here (A.K.A. Cottonmouth)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'd be more concerned with things like Duck Itch and the impact of the poop generated by the growing Canada Goose population than I would with water snakes. E coli and fecal coliform are more dangerous than any fish, snake, turtle or bird.
While New England is free of the dreaded Moccasin/Cottonmouth, I had occasion to have an "unidentified snake" swim by fully submerged in Central Florida. (Quite a sobering sight, as that particular area does have Moccasins) .

Reading up on the "Northern Water Snake", I found a Massachusetts site with some interesting observations as to its reported aggression and wintering habits. It appears that where there are otters, muskrats and beavers, expect to see the Northern Water Snake:

Excerpts:

Quote:
"Commonly described as 'aggressive', I contend that northern water snakes cannot be considered any more aggressive than chipmunks or bluebirds...

"With a large head, fairly massive jaw musculature, and a mouth filled with six rows of sharp, recurved teeth, water snakes can deliver an impressive defensive strike but only to those who lay hands upon them. And this isn't even true all of the time. I've been able slowly to approach some northern water snakes, carefully reach my open hands beneath their bodies, and lift them into the air,

...all without the snake becoming agitated or me becoming the recipient of a surprisingly strong bite. Sometimes, however, this doesn't work! Rather, enjoy water snakes from a short distance, watching how they go about their daily activities.

"Throughout the entire Connecticut River watershed, the northern water snake is the most common large snake to be found. The maximum total length is just under four feet, though many outdoors-people claim (as they do with fish) that they've seen plenty bigger. Water snakes have massive bodies, much thicker than most snakes, and when disturbed can take in air, inflate their one, long lung, and appear even thicker than normal...Occasionally water snakes, finding themselves caught in the current, may try to take refuge at any convenient dry place - a floating log, a bridge abutment, an arching tree trunk or a boat anchored to the bottom.

"To some people, the vision of a large, dark snake heading straight for them is a bit disconcerting, to say the least.
For the rest of us, it is a lucky opportunity to observe one of the river's more illustrious inhabitants.

"Water snakes are closely related to the most abundant and commonly seen snake in the Connecticut River watershed the eastern garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)...As many as fifty or more may be born to the largest females, but normally 10 to fifteen 6- to 8-inch babies emerge from the female inside small, clear membranes...

"There are reports of water snake overwintering inside wells where they spend the majority of the cold weather submerged, or mostly so.

"If this is true then it is possible that water snake might be able to winter inside bank dens made by beavers, muskrats, otters, or even crayfish. Virtually nothing is known of their winter behavior and it would be intriguing to understand just what it is they are doing.
Much more on Northern Water Snakes at:
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/con.../wtrsnake.html

(I'm certain the author's use of "wells" are not directed to the usual drilled wells of recent times).

And...speaking of the growing Canada Goose population, you can get quite a view of Wolfeboro's "Back Bay" from Bradley's Hardware. About 30 Canada Geese could be seen—some were feeding on spacious lawns. (That's about triple my unofficial count from last year). Acres of lush lawns can be seen to assist in grazing and nest-building.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote