View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearislandmoose View Post
It's sad that we tend to minimize the seriousness and consequences of impaired operation of vehicles, whether cars, boats, or whatever. And we all do that to some degree. I had the below link sent to me a while back, and found it to be the most effective video I have seen at showing the evolution from "good people just having a good time" to the resulting tragedy that permanently destroys the lives of those good people and the lives of those they share the road (or lake) with.
Regardless of anyone's opinion on a Speed Limit or on how much anyone feels is ok to drink while or before operating a vehicle, I think this is a very valuable watch.
This is not an accusation towards anyone in particular, or meant to say that any accusations being made here are true, so there is no need for anyone to get defensive. I just felt that the topic of operating while intoxicated was being thrown around here like it is a casual offense, and needed to be put into perspective.
And no one should say that this is not just as relevant to boating as it is to driving a car.
Please stay safe next summer, whether we still have a speed limit or not. My grandkids will be out on the lake with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
BIM, I don't think anyone is downplaying the seriousness of BWI/DWI. However because of the prevalence of the offense (and no demographic is spared) that it gets more acceptance by our society. The reason why the US has not eradicated the offense is the whole BWI/DWI deal is a money racket for the police, prosecuter, judge, insurance company, driving school, DMV, state coffer, defense attorney, and correctional officers. So who in that food chain would want DWI to be eradicated?

Looks at other countries with much lower rates of DWI and you'll see the punishment is much more severe.