View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I will take you up on that offer.

That's a great story you have regarding your near run in with Cindy and Sheldon. Just shows how small the world really is.

I've been boating my whole life, as a child our family time was spent boating from Boston to the Cape and Islands almost every weekend.

My wife and I are on our 3rd boat, first was an 89 2155 Bayliner Cuddy, then an 02 Glastron Express Cruiser, and our current boat is an 06 Regal 3360; Fantastic boat but not the right one for long range cruising.

We used to trailer the Bayliner all over the place when the kids were young, but settle on Winnipesaukee 16-17 years ago.

Our current 3360 is to large to trailer with an 11.4 beam so we are lake locked, although we have talked about moving to the ocean, for a change. As you point out its a drag on the lake not being able to go for an "adventure". I've explored the entire lake many times, its time to find new territory.

We have considered and even looked at bare boat charters in the Ft. Myers area. Really not to expensive if you can get another couple to go in on it. We have family down there and visit every year but haven't pulled the trigger. I know that once we would love it.

I'm looking forward to your updates on your trip to bring you new Trolly home. Cheers!
I grew up boating on Winnipesaukee and only started expanding my boating area beyond lakes about 12 years ago. It's been a real eye opener and I'm hooked on the freedom that exists outside NH lakes.

Assuming your Regal has stern drives, I would just keep it on the lake. Stern drives and salt water slips/moorings are a bad mix, IMO and it will take quite a beating when it's sitting in unused. That said, if you wanted to expand you cruising area substantially and ease into the cruising lifestyle it would be an awesome boat for Champlain. From there, you can make trips to the ocean or great lakes AND all the canal systems in the north east (Erie, C&S, Oswego, Champlain, Trent-Severn, Welland, Rideau, and Richelieu).

I think a couple could easily spend 2+ months living on a boat like yours in the waters described above without much hassle. The large amount of friendly and convenient marine services and free/cheap overnight dockage makes it incredibly easy to cruise there. You can spend a lifetime of Summers just going from one charming town to another by boat, without any overlap. You could leave Mallets Bay on Champlain and be here in a (really fun) week or month of cruising:
Attached Images

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote