Thread: Water driveways
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswalk View Post
The way I see it as a waterfront owner, is just the way it is!
IT IS NOT MY WATER!!
It is a view. Views change.
so what if someone steps into it for a while.
And yes, (here we go) Even fishermen quietly floating in front of the house.
Big deal! I just ask how they're biting.
If it's a distraction like drunkedness or littering that's different, but I've only had one instance over the years where a fisherman was casting too close to the g-kids while they were swimming.
My house is on the water and I have a permanent dock that attracts a lot of fisherman. No problem at all. I also like to fish so go right ahead. The only problem I have is when they land their lures on my canvas and rip it (Has happened many times) One time I actually got hit in the back (didn't hook) cleaning my transom.... If it was one freak occassion I would not even bring it up, but this has happend numerous times.

I used to politely ask them to leave which of course became a heated discussion and just ruins my weekend fun.

So a friend of mine in Virginia with a similar problem (on a river) showed me the best solution which has worked ever since.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy one of those Stampers. You know the pole with a flat iron side to stamp down loose dirt / gravel to level it out for building patio's and such....

Anyway, I have one on the dock. If I see people casting right near the dock or boats I calmly and quietly walk down to the dock pick this stamper up and drop it on the dock. The noise is like a gun shot and the vibrations scare any fish away for a hundred feet or more.

The fisherman usually just give me a nasty look and leave..