Thread: Water driveways
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
ApS

Default "Unsafe Passage" Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...the camp director came out saying it was illegal to be there. At the time I had a 17 ft whaler and he said to me (no lie) it was illegal to be standing in the boat!...we called the MP and they said it was fine to be there..."
While standing in your boat has never been illegal and—depending on what year that incident occurred—the NHMP Boater's Guide did have a paragraph warning against it. That quote was excerpted to this forum just last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...Some woman called the MP and told them that I was anchored in front of her property..."
That must have occurred years ago. Nobody anchors in front of my shoreline any longer because of today's maximum-wake-speed "violence". (Wakes increase in violence as they approach the shallows near shore).

Even boaters who prefer their privacy far from shore still get a good dose of that "maximum wake speed" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...It was easier to be a lakefront owner snob..."
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Iiiiiiiidiots. Wow that just about takes the cake now doesn't it?
1) There's nothing wrong with being lakefront residents.

2) The only violation in this case happens to be New Hampshire's most frequently-violated rule for boaters: Unsafe Passage.

3) Even "certificate-boaters" will shrug off a speed that leaves an obnoxious wake. Nobody seems to realize a wake above headway speed can have consequences to anchored or drifting visitors.

4) Not to excuse boaters lacking consideration for the other boaters around them, that "driveway" could have been a safe—and familiar—path through an invisible field of boulders.