View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #52
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
During my working career I had the privilege to go to South Korea to train young engineers on how to build a Nuclear Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) that would be used to generate electricity. Dog meat is a delicacy in South Korea and they introduced it to me during one of my visits. We would drink Soju and eat dog meat with a side dish of Kimchi. Koreans spice their food to the extent that it is hard to actually get the real taste of any food that they eat, however the dog meat tasted a little like beef teriyaki. I ate it each time I went there just to show respect for their culture.
Funny story, The 1988 Mens Wheelchair Basketball team competed and won the the Para Olympics in basketball. Events were in South Korea.

I very good friend of mine was one of the player/coaches on the team. To celebrate the win they all went out for dinner. The place they went was a local place and the menu was in Korean. They resorted to pointing at dishes on the menu to select the food and finally settled on a dish that the waiter call "Duk".

When the meal arrived and they started eating, they noticed that it didn't taste at all like "Duck". They called the waiter over, pointed to the food and asked. "Duck... Quack Quack?" The waiter replied.. " No...Duk.... Bow Wow".

They went and found someplace else to eat.