View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,517 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Interesting thread "Investment Options," but largely over my head. Where do you think a beginner should start? Goal: Same as everyone's. Turn a small pile of cash into a large pile of cash. ;-) In a short period of time.
A financial advisor will ask: Are you looking for more spending money, or just to feel a comfort level with more net worth? What's a short period of time? What's a small pile of cash? People on the Forum really can't give good advice without some sort of personal information that you don't want to (should not) post here. Key factors are age, desired retirement time frame and tolerance for risk. Your other posts indicate (to me) a low tolerance for risk, so making a small pile into a big pile in a short time frame is probably not a good strategy. I subscribe to Morningstar Dividend Investor and put a small % of investments into riskier stocks. (I have a high tolerance for volatility) Moderna (MRNA) was up 500% September to September. On November 4, one day, it dropped from 348 to 288. 17%. Can you tolerate that? What if you bought at 325?
Various TV media report daily fluctuations in the markets, but most investment advisors will tell you to ignore daily fluctuations and re-balance a couple of times a year at most. Most charge a management fee compared to the old time process of charge a commission per trade which encouraged churning. Note that some, who advertise the most, have fees that are twice the going rate.
Or, buy gold and diamond jewelry for your wife. You will be greatly rewarded.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: