View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #20
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Spell Check

The vBulletin syetm does not come with its own spell check but WebBBS didn't either. It was a 3rd party add on service that I think is adaptable to the new forum as well. After I get the operational bugs worked out I'll look into adding the spellchecker.

Re: Reading is not as easy

I understand your comments Jeffk but I can't please everyone. Actually one of the biggest complaints I received about the old Forum was the frames display. I was constantly reminding people that it could be shut off.

When viewing a thread on the new Forum there is much less clicking and loading of pages since the thread appears as one long list. This is less demanding on the server and should be faster for most people.

I have warned that there are differences in the way the new Forum works and that it may take some adjustment. The threaded display is definately different and takes some getting used to. You can no longer reply directly to a message and start a sub-thread. Instead the preferred method is to quote the message you want to respond to or take it to another thread if you want to change the subject.

Actually the limiting of sub-threads could be a good thing. Another complaint I frequently received on the old Forum is that threads would veer off into sub-threads that had little to do with the original topic. This new format discourages that and I will too.

Sorry that your first impression was negative Jeffk. I hope you'll give it a chance.

Please post comments or questions about site operation on the Site Support Forum!

Last edited by webmaster; 04-06-2004 at 10:15 AM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote