View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Never owned a roller trailer and if I ever did buy a boat with one I'd get rid of it. I don't like them for a myriad of reasons.

Three reasons why I personally prefer bunks:

#1 Excellent support of the boat where the weight of the boat is distributed across the surface area of the bunk(s). Easy to fix, replace or modify too. So swapping to 6" bunks, making them longer etc... easy to do. Rollers are just to overly complicated.

#2 Easy to load - they are almost idiot proof to load a boat on and will self correct minor mistakes in approach. I did say almost, there are those that manage to screw this up to which I just say there is no helping them.

#3 Boat is on a much LOWER center of gravity while sitting on the trailer. This is nice for towing. Rollers trailers place the boat way high on the trailer which I really don't like. I want the boat as low and snug to the trailer as possible, less wind resistance and better visibility while in tow.

Everyone has their opinions I guess.
The main reason for this post is because I just bought a (new to me) boat, and it came on a bunk trailer, which I have never owned before. I have been trailering for over 30yrs, but have always had a roller trailer, so that is what I am used to. I find the biggest difference between the two is you have to get the boat a lot closer to the winch on the bunk trailer to winch it up, so you have to get the trailer deeper in the water, and I'm always afraid that you're going to pull it out and be all crooked on the trailer because it was in to deep. With a roller trlr, I have always left about 1/3 of the trailer out of the water and winched it right up as it levels itself out automatically, and (for the most part), have never had a problem. I have used the bunk trlr a couple times now, and am getting used to it already!! Not as hard as I thought it was going to be at all. I was going to sell it and replace it with a roller trlr, but I think I'm going to stick with the bunk trlr for now. However, I do have 1 question. This trailer is not original to the boat, because the chines of the boat are sitting on the bunks, not the flat part of the hull, and I'm sure it's not supposed to be that way (??), and I'm not sure if that is going to be an issue for the hull, long term. The bunks are not adjustable on this trailer either, other than changing the width of the bunks, so not sure what to do. Run it, or change it somehow?

Last edited by Cal Coon; 09-01-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote