View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #49
ApS

Exclamation Back When Johnson's Cove Had No Docks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMartiniello View Post
So,
If you think you might be entering thunderstorm on Lake Winni, take all precautions. It depends on what boat you have. I have a small 16ft boat, and have a rough time with the wind. If there is a thunderstorm, look for "Small Craft Advisory" on a weather app for your area, If then you have a small boat like me, I would not recommend you going out till those winds simmer down. My thought of rain, it is not too bad, I mean a boat can hold water, and if it is literally down-poring remember to press your "Bilge" button after, that releases water. Hope I can Help,
BTW, "Small Craft" are considered to be less than 33-feet long by the USCG.

It's kind of scary to think that WWII had only ended by 10 years when my Dad built our little place near Johnson's Cove. We've seen some awful weather, and although I'm mindful of storms, didn't quite make it back home before a "cell" damaged my boat while I had a death-grip on it!

The following experience, posted here in 2004, should be instructive:

"We were in anchored in Johnson cove that day and remember it quite vividly.

"I was in my 28 ft cruiser rafting with friends in there 41 footer. Bow and Stern firmly anchored. When the storm came visibility went down to zero and the wind got ferocious. The wind spun both boats around in circles several times and pushed us towards the rocks on shore.

"We had to make a choice, get washed up onto the rocks or fire up the motor and power off with the risk of tangling the anchor lines in the props. We opted to cut the anchors and fire up one engine. Visibility was zero so all we could do was try to keep the boats off the rocks but were unable to go anywhere else. When the storm finally ended we found that we had suffered very little damage.

"For two weeks following the storm we donned scuba gear looking for our anchors. We finally did find the anchors all twisted up about 200 yards from where we had initally anchored that day
".

.http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=62528

Last edited by ApS; 07-14-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Add URL
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote