View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #56
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Tough call

Property been in the family since 1892. Prime view of the Broads. Welch, Long, Sandy, Cow and Diamond Island. The Ossipees and Mt Washington. I can see sunny side of WV glistening with snow late season.

Countless memorable family vacations/reunions and weekends made it difficult to comprehend. 'On Golden Pond' style cottages are becoming non existance. Daily sight of the Mt Washington was our way of keeping time. Being on the Southern end of the lake, the huge trees kept the sun from roasting the cottage.

It was tough decision to sell. Situated on a fairly steep slope, Dad had a difficult time climbing stairs. Because of 'view tax' regulation, property tax nearly six-folded.

With 3 kids heading off to college, I couldn't afford to take over so we sold it in 1998. The money was used to buy a condo on Winnisquam, less maintenance, flat landscape, great view so my dad can enjoy his last days.

We didn't regret the move, but we miss the spot! Current owner built a Macmansion and completely ruin a beautiful campy atmosphere.

Still have the Winnisquam property and enjoying the peace and quiet the Winnipesaukee now lacks. It's all about timing, moving forward. You will miss but won't regret.