View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #190
Dickie B from HB

Default Leaving LSP for the summer

Well another Labor Day has come, and even though I haven't spent a summer at Lake Shore Park in over 50 years, Labor Day always brings back the memory leaving LSP and heading back down the road to New Jersey.
We had a cabin on Long Beach, four spots away from MiniHaHa (now Ellacoya).
We would leave New Jersey around the end of June and head to the lake, spend all summer there, and return home on Labor Day.
Nothing was more depressing than going back to New Jersey on Labor Day!!!
What made it even worse was that school would start the following day.
My parents would pack up the old Oldsmobile (no luggage, just laid all the clothes out in the trunk), while I would be out saying goodbye to all my friends, sometimes leaving a summer girlfriend behind.
We would close up the cabin, put the shutters on the windows, and lock the door. Then it was one last ride out through the ball field and over the bridge at the swamp and up to the pavilion to fill up on gas. Then out the bumpy dirt road past big rock (giving my father a final opportunity to curse at all the potholes) to the end and past the old Lake Shore Park sign and onto route 11.
Nothing was more painful then the ride from New Hampshire to New Jersey. Going from the pristine air of New England to the choking haze that hung over New York and northern Jersey is a memory that I would like to forget.
But, Labor Day always brings it back.

Last edited by Dickie B from HB; 09-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dickie B from HB For This Useful Post: