Thread: Metal Roofs
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 06:04 AM   #7
jeffk

We got a metal roof a few years ago and we are very happy with it.

It is extremely durable (expected lifetime is 50 to 100 years), it is screwed on, fire and hail and wind resistant, it weighs far less than a asphalt roof so the combined weight of roof and snow is less of a concern. You may be able to get a homeowners insurance reduction with a metal roof. Peace of mind; I don't think I will have to worry about the roof for the rest of my life.

It is NOT noisy when it rains (nor when it snows ).

We got a higher end type, DECRA (check out the website pictures). The steel is heavier and is covered in an epoxy, stone dust material. It is beautiful and looks like regular shingles (shake and tile style anso available). People look at it and cannot believe it is a metal roof. It does NOT dump snow like the standing seam metal roofs. We chose it because we did not want it to.

THE DECRA IS PRICEY. The standing seam metal roofs are cheaper (and come in more colors) but are still more than a asphalt roof.

We got it from Drew's Affordable Steel Roofing out of Laconia (they have a website). They did a great job for a fair price. They, however, are VERY busy and it can take 3 or more months to get them out to do the job. They may quote you 3 months out and not get there until the 4th month. If you don't have the patience to wait for quality work, you will be frustrated. We had developed a leak when we first contacted them and we had them place a tarp over the roof until they could get the job done. It was a little added expense but we were well pleased with the result. A friend also had them do their roof and was pleased with the outcome. They got the Wakefield Bridge shingles.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: