View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #39
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
This surprises me….They will usually only do this if there absolutely no other place to put it.

When Home Energy installed mine, BART the owner was adamant about not mounting any of them on exterior walls due to the possibility of drain lines leaking or freezing as well as hiding the lines to and from the evaporator. Also exterior walls are always colder and will give your thermostat a lower reading than what the actual temp really is. It certainly makes an easier install on an exterior wall but should be avoided at all costs whenever possible…

Dan
The heads only drain water when the AC is on so there is really no threat of them freezing, not sure why he would have told you that? As far as leaking, I would rather have them leak outside of the house rather than inside.
Home Energy installed a unit for a friend of mine in Rumney and they put it on an outside wall. He's on the top of Stinson Mountain where it's 10 degrees colder than the Lakes region in the winter.
Last February when my temp in Meredith was -17, it was -27 at his house but he wasn't using his mini split.
Most of the installs I see around here in mass have the covers going up the sides of the house. Out of the 5 heads I do have 2 technically on inside walls but the backside of those walls aren't heated.
My wife requested as few visual covers on the outside of the house as possible. They aren't that bad, just looks like another gutter downspout.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote