View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
mowtorman

Default woodshed

I worked there as a dishwasher in 1975-1976. It was run by Mr. Towers, a well respected restaurateur in the area who later ran smaller drive-ins including the one at the end of Meredith Bay near the cinema. He turned the Woodshed over to his son and the business faltered at one point, maybe they claim the opening at a point when it went over to new owners. When I was there I would bring out 100 lb. uncut racks of bone in prime rib that was roasted outside by ER Nadeau over a wood fire, very hot job on a summer day. The sides of beef were then stored in the walk in and cut individually as ordered, placed for a short time under the grill then covered with au jus and served. The au jus came from a stock pot of every type of unused food (including egg shells) that simmered forever in a large pot with a spigot at the bottom. Unique dining at the time and some nights the place was rocking. Big competition at the time was The Country Fare restaurant at the corner of 25 and 109. Good food, good time, hardest job I ever had, made $2 per hour and what I made carried me for spending money until the next summer.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote