View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Well it's been an interesting time since I started this inquiry. I talked to two appliance repair people and they both confirmed that the noise is probably a bearing issue and that the cost to repair would not be worth the money. One person said that the washers these days have a 6-8 year life because of the plastic used to make parts. (Sounds like "designed to fail" to me).

So now I am looking at a near future of washing cycles that end with the sound of a jet engine and a further future of having to by a new washer. Bummer. I think my mother had one washer for most of our childhood and replaced it once or twice in the 50 years they lived at the house.

Any recommendations for washers that LAST?
Depending on how handy you are you can attempt the repair yourself. It doesn't look too hard, but will probably take a few hours and you need some tools, like a relatively heavy hammer and a good set of sockets with extensions.

There is one video here on how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-eAvoBI59Y Not sure of your model, but you can probably find instructions for your exact washer. The bearing kit with seals looks like $40 on ebay, and if the "spider" arm is broken, they run between 90 and 130 bucks.

Generally the way I look at these repairs is that if I can't repair it or if I break it further it needed to be replaced anyway. If successful you've save a lot of money and it will probably last as long as a new one. Best of luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote