View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Re: 1967 Silvertone

Hi Eagle

Unfortunately, I don't know much about electric guitars. I was into Folk Music and acoustic instruments in the 60's. But judging by what I've seen on ebay, what were considered "starter guitars" back then, both acoustic and electric, seem to be going for pretty big bucks now. For instance, the first 12 string I ever had was a Stella, made by Harmony. I bought it brand new at Ted Herbert's Music Mart somewhere around 1965 for about $40 with a cardboard case. They regularly sell now on ebay for over $200! Another guitar I had in the 60's was a Harmony Sovereign. It was about $80 new, and they go for a couple of hundred on ebay. There's even one guy trying to get $1000!

I may be wrong on this, but back then I believe that the Silvertone instruments sold by Sears were made by Harmony, which made decent guitars for the money. I remember a friend had a Silvertone electric guitar that had a case that doubled as an amplifier. And I had a Silvertone classical back in high school.

Probably the best place to look for more information would be to find an old Sears catalog on ebay. You can also check the ebay listings for that guitar. If you check "completed listings" you can see what the guitars actually sold for on ebay, and, with current listings, toss an email to the seller and see what they may know about the guitar.

My wife has informed me that I'll be at the open mic in Tuftonboro this Saturday. I'll have my Takamine 12 string. The Gibson, unfortunately, will be staying home; it currently doesn't play as well as the Takamine, and I don't have much in the way of callouses on my fingers anymore. But I've been working all week to try to change that!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote