View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Thanks for the link! I'll check out!

I've bought a few things from the Folk Cellar. Nice place and nice people! Doing their open mic is on my list of things to do also.

I'll be doing the tune up on the Gibson. It only needs a cleaning and strings. I'll check the neck and adjust the truss rod if necessary. It has the old style bridge with adjustment screws, so it's easy to get the action right. I bought it from Rick Shaw in 1966, and when I got it it was pretty road worn then. Rick had lent it to a friend in Boston who hadn't taken very good care of it. It has the typical cracks in the top next to the neck, the finish is worn off the back of the neck from sliding an old clamp capo, and the finish on back of the guitar is worn, But, at the time, the price was right, and it was the first quality guitar I'd ever owned.

Other guitars came and went, but I always held on to the Gibson. My main gig guitar is a Takamine 12 string acoustic electric that sounds and plays great, and the built in pick-up makes it easy to control the sound. I have another Takamine 12 string "Martin Law Suit" model, and a La Patrie classical that I bought last year. A lot of guitars for someone who only plays out a few times a year.

Got a few outdoor chores to get through, then I'll spend an afternoon on the Gibson.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote