View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #43
Major

Default City of Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackeer View Post
Ha!!!
I blame no one for the property value increase, I simply state that the City essentially did a money grab based on a unsustainable real-estate market. This is a City that operates apparently Hand to Mouth, I have had many conversations with the cities head of Roads etc., his comments leave me to believe there is no money for him to operate his department properly.
As for flatlanders etc., that is a story older than my time here in NH, a second HA!!!! yes I didn't expect Laconites to be buying Lake Front in Laconia, thankfully for the Flatlanders the Laconia folks have them to help support their obviously financial screwed up City.
I blame the City Council and the Laconia Planning Board. For better or worse, Laconia has decided to pursue federal tax dollars through building section 8 housing. The people who take advantage of this type of housing require services and the infrastructure needed to address the issues they cause. We built a palace at the County Complex on North Main Street ($8,000,000) to help address these issues, after building palaces for the fire department, the middle school and the police station. We are spending $17,000,000 on the Colonial theater. For what, for the section 8 people who live downtown? I doubt they are interested in the theater.

Laconia would have been better served by following Meredith's model and by not investing in section 8 housing. You get what you subsidize.

I grew up in Laconia, and unfortunately regret building our home there.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote