Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
So on this forum we have....

A councilor that quit the day before the campers arrived

A camper that uncontrollably pooped and vomited all over their cabin

A Peeping Tom that snuck into the camp and looked through the girls windows

You guys are a Camp Directors nightmare!!!!

Camp horror stories, now there is a topic. I remember a camper that took a bullet in the leg even though we didn't have any weapons. He had found a hunters cartridge and was smashing it between two rocks to take it apart and use the shell as a whistle. Cartridges are fairly safe, but if you smash them between rocks they go off.

The bullet went about 4 inches into his leg, we never found the shell. I had to call the mother and explain why her ten year old was headed into surgery. Fun times!
In my 18 years at Lawrence, we've had 2 gunshot injuries. Both were ricochets, and both did little more than break the skin (We use .22 rifles). One was a staff member hit in the knee. The other was a 12-year-old camper who took it right between his eyes. Neither is an experience I want to have anything to do with again.

I've also personally dealt with broken bones, dislocated joints, major avulsions, beesting and peanut allergies, asthma attacks and a death. Most weren't preventable - the combination of the location and kids being kids is inherently dangerous. Th ones that were preventable, however, are the ones that eat at you even if it wasn't your fault.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote