View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
mswlogo

Default A must have toy on lake front property Image stabilized binoculars

I invested many years ago in a pair of high end Nikon 8x42 binoculars and we used them ALL the time. I still have them. They are waterproof and lifetime guaranteed. They were not cheap either, around $1000 almost 20 years ago.

I decided to take it up a notch and get a pair with image stabilization. I tried almost every model Canon makes and settled on these.

This has to be one of my best purchases for the lake.

From checking out the loons to seeing if someone might be in trouble on the water.

Yes, they are expensive. I got them for $1100.00 on Amazon.

Note that these are really made for LAND use. They have 1 degree of correction.

They do make them for boats too, by fuji, that have 6 degrees of correction. So you can be bouncing around on the boat while still being locked on your target.

Every visitor that tries them are blown away.

They are fun for casual astronomy too.

In case link dies they are Canon 10x42 L IS Binoculars and they are also waterproof.
Crappy 1 year warranty though, very common complaint because most good binoculars have very long or lifetime warranties and they are NOT cheap to get repaired either.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...0-x-42-l-is-wp

Just to give you a sense of how good they are. You can see Cardigan Mtn in this picture to give you sense of distance (about 10 miles away). It's the tallest peak and just behind the trees obscuring it some.
There is a fire tower on the Mtn. I can tell if people are standing near the tower with them (just black silhouettes). Only with IS enabled. Pretty incredible for 10x.

As magnification goes up, they are harder to hold steady. Having IS essentially doubles the range because the image is rock steady.

Last edited by mswlogo; 06-09-2021 at 10:53 AM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: