View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
gus62

Default Living Wages vs minimum wages

There has been a lot of discussion regarding minimum wages and living wage.Obviously these are 2 different items. My question is how are the 2 connected and what is the purpose of either/or?
In my opinion when talking about living wage I think about what a working individual needs to be able to support themselves or their family, pay rent/mortgage, household expenses etc.
Minimum wages I feel are for entry level persons that do not have the considerations that a living wage recipient needs.
I am not sure why when the discussion comes up that the minimum wage needs to be universally increased for all individuals rather that a consideration of different levels of minimum wage at different stages of a persons employment. What I mean by that is I feel that a standard minimum wage for self supporting individuals or family should be raised above the living wage level however a secondary minimum wage be set for younger adults entering the workforce, ie; students or anyone under 18, excluding college students.
Any thoughts on this or different prospective`s would be welcome.
gus62 is offline   Reply With Quote