View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Stores and mask mandate

The governor's mask mandate is here: https://www.governor.nh.gov/sites/g/...y-order-74.pdf

What I've observed in the Lakes Region:

Dollar Tree employees and managers (Tilton, Plymouth) appear to be ignoring the mandate; several are not wearing masks. Many are wearing them improperly (below the nose).

Ditto for Dollar General in Ashland. (Same owner as Dollar Tree.)

Tractor Supply: The mask mandate is posted at the entrance, but people freely enter the store with no mask and employees make no effort to even ask them if they have a mask or offer them a mask.

On the other side of the coin, 100% of the customers and employees I see in Market Basket are wearing masks and there are no disputes about wearing them. However, I believe Market Basket allows employees to wear face shields with no mask, which has been shown by scientists to offer almost no protection to people near them.

Why are there these differences among stores? I'm assuming it has something to do with the corporate culture of each store and how headquarters administrators are communicating policies to local managers.

A popular explanation from stores is is, "State law will not allow us to force people to wear masks." Also, "Under state law, we're not allow to ask people if they have a medical condition, so we can't enforce the mask mandate."

This situation is a bit baffling because it looks like the mandate is unenforceable, so why have it?? I don't get this.