View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #45
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

My advice is simple, if you already have a piece of land in mind, first talk to the town planning board, and the local inspector. Get an idea of what the minimum requirements are going to be, to have a legal structure that you can occupy. You might find that in lieu of running water and septic, that you can have a composting toilet, or an incinerating toilet. This changes the expense ball game entirely, if you like it rustic. But back to where I was going with my original thought. First you must understand what the Town is going to require to have a structure that is legal and can be occupied. Then put together a list of the things you think are necessary, and start building from there, until your wallet is empty.

Many people here are approaching this from a like and want avenue. If you start thinking about all the likes and wants, you will likely be disappointed when you find these things aren't within the budget. I have found it is always better to start at the minimum need, and build up, adding features. That why you see what your getting, and not what you are loosing.