View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default the other side of the coin...

We have good friends whose family owns lakeshore property in Alton Bay. Older cottage, with a dock, breakwater, beach, and two moorings.

Second generation of users now involved, and there is no problem. Uncle has for years used the property during August, with company joining him in the first two weeks. Beyond that time, other family members are welcome to come up...just give a call.

There is Mom and her brother (uncle), and three kids, all grown with grandchildren. All help with opening, closing, maintenance, upgrading costs, and most importantly, taxes. All are welcome to come up at any time, and when they do, they bring food (usually more than can be eaten in any given weekend).

I guess as I read this thread, it is like anything else. Those who get involved with the sharing have to be able to work with one another, be tolerant, willing to compromise, be accomodating to change if necessary, etc.

Winterh, know who you are getting into the sharing arrangement, talk it over at length to try to eliminate any concerns on either party's side, and hopefully you and they will ENJOY! (sorry...had to shout "enjoy")