View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #100
jmen24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
I am a licensesed pilot. Laconia was the home base for my airplane for a period of time. I've flown into many airpoirts that had skydiving operations. I AWAYS appreciate the fact that skydivers are aiming for the center of a particular airport. I rarely fly over a particular airport, whether skydiving is in progress or not. I prefer a standard entry into the pattern that doesn't cross over the center of the airport. If I heard on the radio that skydiving was in process at some island on Winni, am I going to open up a chart to find out were that is? Maybe I'm lucky and I know the name of the island - I doubt it though. I have a chart that tells me airports and major places, not nearby islands or fields. When I hear on the radio that skydivers are landing at the field I really don't want to fly directly over it. I fly a standard pattern around it.

I would be very concerned if skydiving were being done to any place other then the center of the airport. It's the only safe place.
That would be my thought as well. Better than landing out in a field off site with traffic that may not understand what is actually going on.

I am not working either side of the fence as both of these activities are on the list of things to do, but doesn't traffic coming in and out of the airport (where the skydivers land) only come in along the axis of the runways. That would be a max of two travel vectors. An offsite field outside of airport traffic patterns wouldn't that be an infinite number of possible travel vectors.

Tom, if Laconia and its pilot residents are not smart enough to see the big picture, why not bring your operation to Concord, Newport, Lebanon. The volume of participants would be better than Laconia being that they are all closer to highways which would mean better margins. Watching skydivers fall while traveling up the highway you have the potential to attract more business in the long run.

Best of luck to you in your venture and you can count me in when and where ever you set up. Thank you for answering every one of the questions and comments thrown at you with good solid information, I actually googled skydiving in general the other day and the first two pages alone where operations with an address on an "Airport Road"
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote