View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #163
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
The rain may have oddly help it, seemed like quite of melted snow and we had standing water on the ice after the rain, we did get maybe 3-4in of snow before it rained. That all froze over again, it was 8 this morning.
My experience with the ICE throughout New England in the early Seventy's..When I was Ice Boating: ..I am 74 now. A nice rain on the ice would settle the snow...and "Stress Relieve" the ice. What does that mean..?? The prior hard freeze would make the ice "Brittle", and prone to crack..and form pressure ridges.

Relaxed ICE: I have sailed (DN Class Iceboat) on 2 inches of stress relieved Black ICE. As I sailed along I could see the ICE "Flex" below me...bulge downward as I sailed over it. Just my experience. NB

PS:
The last time I sailed on Winni in an Ice Boat was On April 1, out of Glendale. Light air..lots of holes 30 feet in diameter) where Bob Houses had been. We sailed for maybe 20 minutes, then got off the ice. We couldn't see the holes until we were on top of them. Dangerous.

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-19-2016 at 07:43 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote