View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Have you ever actually compared Lowes to Boulia Gorrell? The wood is of a much higher quality and usually as cheap if not cheaper, their screws, nails and misc hardware are generally CHEAPER than at Lowes or HD. When you buy plumbing supplies you might get the copper pipe cheaper at Lowes but all those fittings are usually priced higher than a local hardware store will sell them for. Yes on power tools you might save some but good luck getting technical support. Most of those working at Lowes or HD have little or no knowledge of what they are selling.
I believe if you compared instead of just automatically assuming that everything is cheaper just because of one of two things you might be surprised.
On top of that you support local business owners who tend to spend that money in the local community. I do go in quite often when it’s easier, not cheaper, just to pick up drywall mud or a small tool or fitting (but usually it’s for a job and the customer is paying not me and it’s cheaper than driving the extra 15 minutes).
On Monday thru Friday the place is empty.
I’d not miss Lowes one bit if they closed down.
Besides, then maybe a Market Basket would occupy the empty spot then that would be a big boost to the local economy.
Honestly take some time one day compare prices and I believe you will be surprised.
I haven't automatically assumed anything. I'm aware you can find some items for less elsewhere (like Trustworthy) and like a good majority of people that go to Lowes, the lumber isn't exactly the main attraction. For me personally, the one-stop shopping convenience and location of the Gilford Lowes is unbeatable and their garden/landscaping/nursery department is excellent- minus their tendency to occasionally stock plants like Blue Atlas Cedar which have zero chance of surviving here.

And I'm pretty sure that if Lowes shut down, it'd just go back to being an abandoned empty lot like before, or maybe the Gilford Walmart would move over. I like options as much as the next guy, but I have to doubt this area could support having three major grocery stores within spitting distance of each other.