View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #138
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Woodsy: No apology necessary, we can still be friends!

The problem with leaving most of it to the hotels and motels is that may not be the type of place families are looking for. Many families want the home experience from the kids sleeping in their "own" bedrooms to grilling and family dinners at the kitchen table.

In some situations, the atmosphere from a shared beach at a motel may not be what a family is looking for and by afternoon, with a lot of alcohol involved, it may present an unhealthy situation for children.

Many families get together and rent a home that will fit all of them and it would be cost prohibitive, and not provide the family experience they are looking for, at a motel. They can rent a house that sleeps the whole family for less than the cost of several motel rooms.

The contention that it has a very adverse effect on the neighborhood has not been my experience. On my street alone I am aware of several summer weekly rentals. Both from the street, and from the water, you would have no idea the property was not occupied by the owners.

I know of three local agencies that together rent over 300 waterfront homes as weekly rentals. I have used them. They take a commission and collect and pay the rooms and meals tax to the state.

One physician that rented my home called me after his vacation. It was his family's first time on the lake and they liked it so much they asked for a realtor recommendation to help them find a house. They bought a waterfront in Meredith.

We have all probably had difficult and noisy neighbors at one time or another. You have a good chance of having a neighbor whose conduct and noise you don't approve of. You have to live with it or make complaints to whatever local authority has jurisdiction and that neighbor may be there 52 weeks a year. In the event someone in your neighborhood rents to a problem tenant, they are gone in a week.

My situation may be different but I do not use AirBnB or similar sites, and I will not rent to anyone that I have not talked to first.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote