View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
loony

Default winterizing dishwasher

I have a Bosch dishwasher that I have winterized for many years with no problem.

In my case, the dishwasher water connection is under the floor in the basement. I added a spigot between the dishwasher water shutoff and the dishwasher connection. I shut off the dishwasher water connection, and open the spigot. I connect a hose from the spigot to a submersible water pump in a bucket of RV antifreeze. I turn on the pump and run the dishwasher for about 30sec to 1min - just long enough to fill the sump in the dishwasher. I then reset the dishwasher so it drains.

I also turn on the shut off valve while I winterize the rest of the plumbing to ensure the water line drains. I then close it again and keep It closed all winter.

I keep the sump pump hooked up to the spigot all winter. We generally don't run the dishwasher in winter but we do run it if we have a big crowd. Since the pump is already hooked up, it only takes a few minutes to re- winterize.

the 1st time I use the dishwasher I run a rinse-hold or short cycle to flush out the antifreeze.

one could do a similar thing if the connection were under the sink. If you could add a T connector and valve to the under sink connection and run a hose to the counter top, you could gravity feed the antifreeze- just like winterizing a boat.

Last edited by loony; 09-29-2014 at 12:20 PM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote