View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Markers on the SE corner of Bear

Lots of folks misread the three markers here. Provides plenty of entertainment from our porch on Mink. Some unfamiliar boats come to screeching halts when they see the three buoys and putter around trying to divine what they should do. Many assume the three buoys mark a shallow area and go around all three to the South. I see some apparent "regulars" make a concerted effort when coming from the North to swing around all the buoys to the South, blissfully unaware that they are actually travelling outside the marked channel.

It's true that there is plenty of deep water in all directions there so even if you get it wrong, you won't risk prop damage. But.... There is a real ledge on the North side of the markers. In periods of low water levels I suspect a deeper drafting large boat might be at risk there.

There are quite a few large boulders strewn about to the north of Mink. At least one I can stand on with my head above water so roughly six feet below the surface. None that are a nav hazard that I'm aware of.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote