View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #52
Colby

Arrow Busy weekends and crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I cared when I was visiting my son's summer camp on Winni and I asked the director why none of his boats were out on the lake on such a beautiful day.
He explained that there were some days, mostly weekends, when the cowboy atmosphere on the lake was so bad, that he could not justify sending out children in sail boats, kayaks and canoes. He also could not allow water skiing on those days.

He didn't think a speed limit would completely solve the problem. But he did think it might reduce the weekend madness of the lake in the future.

Looks like he was right.
Some nice sunny summer weekends bring out a lot of boats to the lake no doubt about it. Is it crowded because of speed? I doubt it. Campers are not the only ones who may decide not to boat on those certain busy weekends. If I want to boat on one of those nice summer weekends I know when to do it to avoid the crowds. I go out before 10 AM and after 5 PM. Even on the busiest of weekend days there are not many out in the morning and around dinner time. In fact the lake often flattens out after 5 PM and it is better for water skiing.

Fast or slow there are busy times and places on the weekends. Bear Islander, ask the camp directors why they are not using the lake on the busy weekends now. Speed limits are not the answer.

If camp directors have a problem with boaters breaking the law they should call the Marine Patrol. All the laws prior to the Speed Limit law would take care of any problems. The speed limit restricts a very small percentage of boaters.

The lake can get too crowded on a nice weekend. IF you believe that more boats will come to the lake now that there are permanent speed limits then the weeekends will be even more crowded with boats. What will the camp directors use for an excuse then?

Speed limits will not reduce the number of boats on the lake on a sunny summer weekend it will probably lead to an even more crowded lake.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Colby For This Useful Post: