View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I believe we might have a new troll around.
Why is one branded a troll if he supports the current laws and those who flaunt the laws are considered mainstream on this forum?
R2B, since the speed limit discussion was opened back up, you have posted 9 times, 8 of those have been in the SL threads and espouse your opposition to the law. Looking at most of the other chronic posters in these threads one sees an even more devout dedication to only the speed limit discussions. Who are the trolls here?

Until recently, this forum had developed an ever-increasing reputation as another GFBL site. Discussions here mirrored those on the offshore boating sites, as if the people of the Lakes Region all shared those same interests and opinions. Anyone who dared express an opinion that did not bash the speed limit or bash those who supported it was "sarah palined", branded a troll, and ganged up on until they were chased away. I'm guessing that the moderator even saw how imbalanced the site had become and how far it had strayed from representing prevailing opinions of the LR locals.
Only recently have those of us who sat quietly back and said "I'm not expressing my opinion there and subjecting myself to that kind of abuse" felt comfortable posting here. I will not be intimidated from expressing my views and observations the way so many have. Unfortunately, many still feel that speaking here is not worth the attacking that it will bring. My friends yesterday were unanimously of the opinion that trying to make non-GFBL points on this forum is {hard}, and will still not be convinced to weigh in here. Hopefully we can change that so that this forum becomes a more accurate barometer of the attitudes of the vast majority of people of this region.
Recall that a series of polls were done by a reputed and independent polling institute. Each one was bashed for not asking the questions correctly, not asking enough people, etc, so the polls were repeated over and over with the questions re-written and numbers increased. Each poll received a higher and higher number of NH residents expressing a desire for a 45/25 speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee, culminating in almost 90% of NH citizens supporting the current law. No misleading questions, no selective polling, just a very straight question to a very broad audience that had a statistical accuracy of almost 100%. Yet to look at this forum, one would think they got it completely backwards.
It's time we tried to make this forum more reflective of the true flavor of the Lakes Region. Calling those from the vast but oft-silent majority "trolls" in the hope of deflecting attention, and hoping the moderator will banish them, is just not going to work anymore. This is no longer a GFBL site.

Last edited by elchase; 08-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.