View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #82
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
As near as I can tell this extender uses your internet connection and generates a local cell format signal that your cell phone can use. So it is a form of VOIP.

Our Verizon phones have a "WiFi calling" feature that accomplishes the same thing at zero extra cost. The only downside is that you have to setup the feature with your physical address to meet 911 requirements and if you use WiFi calling at another location you have to do that setup again. The WiFi calling does work well at our house where cell service is marginal.
We use "WiFi Calling" at our home as well. We have excellent coverage at our property, but our house started out as a 40X8 ft mobile home with a 22X8 ft porch. Mom and dad did some expanding, and it's now a 10 room house. The aluminum skin is still on the trailer.

Before WiFi calling, walking through the trailer portion, it was a high likelihood that the call would be dropped. That stopped us from using our cell phones as our only phone. Now, with the tower on the east side of Alton Bay, with line of sight to our house plus WiFi calling, no more landline, and no dropped calls. Woo hoo.

Dave