View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default We need more improvement

I have observed many people are still unaware of the things around them, or do not care.

Maybe its because in a automobile the danger zone is mostly straight ahead, while in a boat people don't tend to look far enough to there side for avoidance.

Also people seem to cruise with disregard of other craft around them, they do not adjust course and speed for anything?

For example, last weekend I witnessed a small (approx. 11 ft w/10hp) Boston Whaler trying to go from Lockes Island to the GLendale docks, a relatively short trip on a Sunday afternoon. It was amazing of how close all the craft where coming to this boat (less then 50ft). The boats where not speeding by, they where almost on plane, throwing enormous wakes. I was impressed how the child driver of the Whaler expertly pointed the bow into the waves in keeping a zig zag course. Obviously they had encountered such conditions in the past. I was probably more nervous for the Whaler then he was.

I thought to myself, don't these people realize they could swamp this vessel?
Or do people think, since its a kid in a whaler they are looking to jump there big waves?

People please be aware of your surroundings, I know your having fun, but its easy and fun to putt putt on the lake once in a while. Its relaxing to just be on the water.

Please do not make the lake like Rt93 in Boston, we are all here to get away from the madness of the city.