View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Skip

Default Not snowmobile accidents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The article mentions seven reportable fatalities in 2009 and three in 2010. I don't remember that many. Does it include snowmobile accidents?
No, these do not include snowmobile accidents.

That's why I believe these are Statewide statistics.

Snowmobile accidents, even if they occur on Winnipesaukee (or other water bodies) are handled by the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department and reported separately.

By the way, far less folks snowmobile then boat. The snowmobile season is, on average, half that of the boating season. Additionally there are far less registered sleds than boats.

That said, the fatality & injury rate for sledding far surpasses that of boating.

Yes, comparing snowmobiling to boating is obviously apples and oranges. But it does once again show that given at least one other motorized sporting activity in the State boating on comparison remains extrmemly safe.

Finally regardless of the statisitcs in the article I believe some are missing the general gist of the article. Both the Director and the Sargeant, who derive their profession from enforcing laws on the Lake, both indicate that boating is up but the Lake was overall safer than they expected, given the conditions present.

I see no political agenda behind their expressed opinion. And in actuality if they were politically motivated and wanted to increase the MP budget, wouldn't they take the opposite tack...that statistics aside they felt the Lake was not as safe and therefore they needed more funding/manpower?

I value the opinion of those two professionals and come away with the opinion, after taking the article in its totality, that indeed the Lake remains a safe place to spend the day, week or season with your family.