View Single Post
Old 02-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #17
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
So how do 150' and speed limits laws make the lakes safer? It doesn't.
Speed limits and the 150’ rule probably make the lake “somewhat” safer, because both restrictions provide for increased reaction times that allow for accident avoidance in a few limited situations. Whether or not the increased reaction times provides a statistically significant improvement in safety is debatable

I also boat in FL, where 25 mph speed limits are common in congested areas, such as in tighter areas of the inter-coastal waterway. In more open areas, there are no speed limits. There is no 150’ rule, which would be nearly impossible to implement in the inter-coastal, due to the narrow dredged channels, and the significant quantity of boat traffic. I don’t feel any safer in either boating location.

In my opinion, the speed limits in NH were brought about as a result of boat noise, as opposed to boat speeds. In the 80’s, there was a proliferation of “go fast” boats with loud through hull exhausts. There was (is) a perception of speed associated with the noise, and the noise was disturbing to those who enjoyed the peaceful nature of the lake. Authorities found it hard to enforce noise ordinances, which ultimately (in my opinion) brought about the speed limit legislation. I’ll bet most people who supported speed limits would have been just as happy, if not happier, if boats were quieter, as opposed to slower.

Part of the problem is that people get so passionate about these issues, that they tend to argue for the extremes. If I were king, I’d implement the following rules, in an effort to maximize everybody’s enjoyment of the lake:

1. Ban through hull exhaust on any boat sold within one year post legislation. There is no reason that one boaters preference for loud noise should impact everybody within ear shot of that noise. Existing through hull exhausts could be grandfathered, but only if they are on a boat manufactured pre-legislation, and only if they note the through hull exhaust on their registration form, so as to avoid post legislative conversions.

2. Keep the 150’ rule. It’s too controversial an issue to change, and everybody has enjoyed the lake with the rule in effect for many years. It’s not that big a deal to endeavor to keep your distance from other boats, and it probably aids in maximizing the enjoyment of those boaters who operate at slower speeds, or in smaller vessels.

3. Keep the 45 mph speed limit on most of the lake, but eliminate the speed limit in the Broads. 45 mph is fast enough in most of the bays, where there tends to be more boat congestion. In the Broads, there is plenty of room, and it would allow those with faster boats to traverse the lake faster, and allow a place for them to enjoy some of the exhilaration of traveling at a higher rate of speed.

Aside from the thru hull issue, this doesn’t change much from the status quo. In reality, the 150 foot rule, and the speed limit, are difficult for marine patrol to enforce, due to the challenges of definitively determining a violation. If there was a bit of give and take on both sides, I think there would be less bickering about the rules, and more enjoyment for everybody.

But, I’m not a king, and I don’t get to make the rules. Hopefully those who do make the rules will try to see both sides of these issues, and legislate something that makes sense.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote