View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #52
ApS

Arrow Tossing Winter Harbor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Your agenda is well known and your years of protests have been acknowledged. Instead of waking up every day and thinking of all the changes on the lake that displease you perhaps you could find a small lake with a 1920's feel that will be more to your liking. Life is too short to be as negative as you seem to be. Or, if you are really serious about your objection to larger boats on the lake, instead of being a keyboard warrior why not take some action? Start at the top!
Get into your Prius with the "Bernie Bros" bumper sticker on it and head over to the Weirs. When the families are boarding the Mount Washington for a day of enjoyment on the lake you could be strutting your stuff on the dock with a sign protesting "over sized boats". Anything else is just negative noise!
While I hope that Bernie is the nominee, and that everyone else drives a Prius, your characterization is 'way off.

My present view is of a small lake that has been "to my liking" since viewing it from the shoreline of Camp Wyanoke; unfortunately, it is attached to the larger lake beyond.

An even earlier view includes rowing near where Melvin Village Marina stands today.

See all the wakes? Me neither.

We were aghast when our neighbors moored a new 21' Thompson outboard next door. When they invited me (a teenager) to captain their boat to Wolfeboro via The Broads, I did so. Five minutes later, I received the trip's only instruction while in 25-feet of water: "Keep farther away from shore". I thought this was very "telling" of the owner and his new oversized boat. (At the time, there were no houses facing Rattlesnake Island).

"Visitors" today blast their way around Rattlesnake Island and from Meredith Bay to bulldoze their oversized boats into Winter Harbor. They'll soak docks, erode the shoreline, break mooring lines, and set small boaters' teeth on edge. Some come to Winter Harbor to rattle windows with their unnecessarily loud exhaust noise. (Note: fewer since S/L). Even the best-protected of shoreline properties now have boat lifts and breakwaters. One boatlift has stairs next to it, eliminating the boarding of a "bucking" boat.

Bought a raft? Better inspect your ground tackle after every weekend.

Seen all the floatplanes using the three designated landing areas in Winter Harbor? Me neither.

Even while in Winter Harbor' "protected waters", I have been thrown out of my boat three times!

The first time, it was from an overpowered outboard boat—hard chines, in what I thought was a gentle turn—totally my fault. The second time, I was thrown out backwards after slowing for a huge wake from a 28-foot cruiser—towing a water skier. Lastly, tossed from my 20-foot sailboat—trapped between the wakes of two cruisers entering Winter Harbor.

As for raising an already high lake with 55,000 pounds of displacement, that was really tongue-in-cheek. Since we know that wind can more greatly affect depth measurements between the distant "corners" of the lake—one boat or all the boats—aren't going to budge the meter much while measuring 600 billion gallons of water.

It's when they get underway that the metric changes. The rate at which a lake "dies" (eutrophication) increases with damaged shorelines.

For an indicator, look for algae.