View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #60
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
When working as a mechanic at a dealership we were not allowed to mount tires that had aged more than 1 year. This is to ensure the customer can take advantage of the full MFG warranty which often times expires within 2-3 years of the date of manufacture. One of the reasons discount chains try to upsell you a separate 'warranty' is they know many if not all the tires they are selling are at or already beyond the standard MFG warranty. They won't tell you this, not until you have a problem and this is regardless of how long they have been on the vehicle or mileage on the tire.
You must have had a great dealership. My in-law Toyota were fitted with Goodyear Assurance as OEM tires. They were garbage, only 20K on them. Notice the date of mfg were almost a decade ago. So the local dealership do not have the policy.
In-law replace the tires with the Weather Ready as I have recommended. There was a $200 factory rebate on a set of 4. The dealer claimed the discount is only from the Goodyear dealer, not them. A trip to Belknap and they told me the dealer should fill the papers for the rebate. Belknap also told me the dealer is known to 'pocket' customers rebates. Go figure!