View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #18
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I find that people post to social media more often when they have a problem with a single experience or when the restaurant does not suit their (lifestyle)?
JMO, but people tend to post complaints about businesses more often that positive comments.

When was the last time that (you, we, or anyone) went on vacation in another State and posted something positive about a restaurant you visited? It would have to be amazing I am sure.

Sites like Yelp or trip advisor (or this one) are no different.

Just look at the negative reviews from people that have never visited this restaurant because they do not want to pay more than $1 for a cheese burger.

Should this be a negative review on Yelp, Trip Advisor et al.? I bet for a new restaurant with little to no reviews this restaurant will fall short of positivity when entered into a Google search.....

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=24055
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=24078
I agree people are more likely to voice an opinion when they've had a bad experience however, they are also very likely to voice their opinion when they have been wowed by an experience. Then there are also those people who are likely to voice an opinion on every experience. I'll use the reviews for The Downtown Grill in Wolfboro to back up my stance. Search for the downtown Grille on Google and you will encounter over 400 reviews when you combine Google, yelp, and trip adviser. The average rating of the 400 reviews is just a bit shy of 4.5 out of 5. This means somewhere around 350 people have gone out of their way to write a positive review about the Downtown Grille. When you do a Google search for restaurants in Wolfboro you'll find that the Downtown Grill comes up high on all the aforementioned sites. This provides a tremendous advantage when a tourist comes in the town searching for a place to eat. The restaurant at the top of the list gets first consideration. The restaurant second on the list gets second consideration, and so on. Is anybody going to go home from vacation saying "and we ate at the 34th best restaurant?"

Let's not forget we are in New Hampshire. I was cautioned when I moved here to not expect people to race to my door right away. That is proving to be so true. I have people coming in now who tell me they've been driving by for nine years and wanted to stop but didn't until today because they saw the reviews.

In my opinion reputation is a major factor when considering the acquisition of a business. In the old days ones perception of reputation was limited to the circle of friends they mixed with. Thanks to social media we can now get a broader sampling of public opinion.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote