View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
Grant

My family recently had to sell its Winnipesaukee property (after 67 years...but that's another story altogether), and as part of the "cleaning out," I brought back to Pennsylvania a kayak and a canoe (the motorboat was brought to the marina to be sold ). Soon thereafter, I learned that both now require "Launch Permits" to be used on any Fish and Boat Commission waters in the Commonwealth.

Really? A 9.5-ft plastic kayak requires a permit? Yep.

Keep in mind, this is the state in which you buy beer by the case and in which Sunday liquor sales are a rare and recent development.

So...the cost: $10 for the calendar year (per vessel) or $18 for the two-year. All expire on Dec. 31, so the $18 permits I purchased will both expire at the end of 2013.

A quick bit of research revealed that this is pretty common along the east coast. But having grown up and done 99% of my boating on New Hampshire's waters, I naturally assumed man-powered boats were exempt from registration/permits.

Live and learn.